Orange Yogurt Cake
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/8 tsp crushed saffron threads
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
6 Tbl olive oil
3 Tbl sweet orange marmalade
1 Tbl Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place the juice in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high
heat. Remove from heat; stir in saffron. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Set aside.
4. Place sugar, egg, and egg white in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at
medium speed for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add yogurt, beating well.
Gradually add oil and juice mixture, beating until well blended. Add half of the
flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat just until blended. Repeat procedure with
the remaining flour mixture.
5. Spoon batter int a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
at 350 for 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes
out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool
completely on wire rack.
6. Place cake on a serving platter. Combine marmalade and liqueur in a small
saucepan; bring to a simmer of medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from
heat, strain through a fine sieve directly onto surface of cake. Discard solids.
Spread marmalade mixture evenly over top of cake, allowing excess to drizzle
down sides of cake. Yield 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
Optional: Sprinkle sliced strawberries and/or raspberries on the cake for a little
Calories: 240 (29% from fat)
Fat: 7.9g (sat 1.1g, mono 5.3g, poly 1g)